Have you ever had to deal with a stench coming out of the refrigerator? Never let that happen, and learn how to remove smell from refrigerator to keep your fridge clean. Why is this so important? In this guide, Publican Anker will give you the reasons and the best solutions for you.
According to expert reviews, a refrigerator that stinks can make your health condition greatly affected. Besides, your quality of life is also reduced just because of that stench. Would you please rely on our article to avoid that bad case from happening?
5 Ways to Remove Bad Odors and Keep a Clean Refrigerator
You may have ever noticed a strange odor in your fridge. These odors can quickly appear and catch you by surprise, sometimes lasting for days or even weeks.
It’s not always easy to get rid of the horrible smell. Sometimes the bad smell can persist even after you have removed all the food. This is when you need to get out your cleaning supplies and clean your fridge.
Bad odors can contaminate food and your fridge. Here are five methods to get rid of bad odors from your refrigerator.
1. Give it a really good clean!
Although this is not rocket science, it is the best place to begin dealing with bad fridge odors. It’s crucial to clean the fridge thoroughly, as bad smells can cause serious damage.
- Take all food and drinks out of your fridge. Place the food and drink in a cooler bag with ice if you wish to keep them chilled.
- Get rid of any food that is spoiled or out-of-date.
- Remove all shelves from the shelf and scrub them with hot soapy warm water before drying.
- Make a solution with one tablespoon of chlorine bleach and one-gallon water to clean the fridge’s interior surfaces. This solution can be used to remove dirt and stains. This will give you a true white color, and it will also help to reduce odors.
- Before you place your food or drink back on the shelves, dry the interior with a towel.
2. Fill a bowl with baking and leave it to sit within your fridge
Baking is a great solution to absorb bad smells because it kills odors.
- Add baking soda to a bowl.
- This can be placed inside your refrigerator. Close the door.
- You can sit down for several hours.
- You can also sprinkle baking soda on the shelves to remove the unpleasant odor. Let it sit for at least two hours. For a thorough clean, use a mixture of baking and water to wipe the interior.
3. Organize your food into airtight containers and label with use-by dates
Particularly spicy foods can sometimes cause bad smells. It’s not always the last night’s take-out that’s causing the problem. It is easy for food to get lost in the fridge and end up in your garbage.
- Buy airtight containers in a variety of sizes and shapes.
- Write a label for common items and place them in the refrigerator.
- Label items with expiry dates to prevent them from getting spoiled.
4. Use lemons to keep a fresh and clean refrigerator
Use lemons to clean your refrigerator when life presents you with them! Citrus acid can be used to freshen up your refrigerator’s interior in these ways:
- Use a few cotton balls to clean your refrigerator’s interior. You will get a pleasant scent from the lemon juice.
- Place a few lemon slices on a plate, and let them sit in your fridge. They’ll absorb any unpleasant odors and make your fridge smell great.
5. Make sure the temperature is correct
It is important to maintain the right temperature in your fridge. It is important to keep your refrigerator from getting too hot. This can promote microbial growth and accelerate the food’s deterioration. Antimicrobial kitchen appliances such as refrigerators are becoming increasingly popular.
- You want the temperature between 4 and 5, which is 37-40 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Your freezer should maintain a temperature between -18 and 17 degrees (or 0-4 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Microban antimicrobial technology protects refrigerators from microbial growth. This can help tackle odor-causing microbes.
How to Get Rid of Funky Refrigerator Smells
Step 1: Take Everything Out
Even if the item is identified, it’s important to empty all contents of your refrigerator and freezer. You can also keep perishables in a second refrigerator.
Do not keep food that has spoiled if a power cut causes the odor. According to USDA’s Food Safety and Inspection Services, refrigerators can keep food safe for approximately 4 hours if left unopened.
Step 2: Handwash Bins and Shelves
Wash the shelves, bins, and crisper drawers, and any other loose parts in the refrigerator with hot soapy water. Mix 1 tablespoon liquid chlorine bleach to 1 gallon of water. Use it to wipe down the shelves and bins. Rinse with plain water, then dry completely.
Step 3: Deodorize the Interior
Now it’s time to clean the fridge. Our experts recommend using 1 cup of baking per gallon of water.
Use a sponge that has been soaked in the solution to clean the interior. To remove baked-on food, soak a sponge in the solution and then apply some elbow grease to it. Avoid using abrasive cleaners or pads as they can scratch the interior.
Step 4: Air it Out
This is where patience comes in. You can get the best results by unplugging the refrigerator and leaving the door open. After that, let it air out for at most one day. If refrigerator smells continue to persist, you can wipe it down with baking and air it out for another day.
Tip: You can add a pleasant odor to your refrigerator or freezer by placing a few vanilla-soaked cotton balls inside. Then, let them sit in there for a few more hours before you restock.
Step 5: Clean the Evaporator
If you have a persistent funk, the refrigerator smells are likely permeating the evaporator coil. This produces cold air for your fridge and freezer. The fan that distributes the cold air is located in the back of the freezer, and the coil is usually found on the freezer’s wall.
The video below shows you how to clean an evaporator from a top freezer refrigerator. First, remove the screws holding the panel in place. Next, disconnect the plug that controls the electronic controls and the ice maker.
Wash the panel by removing it. Apply warm soapy water to the coils using a spray bottle. Once the water has dried, wipe off the excess water with a clean cloth. Rinse the panel with new water. Before replacing the panel, let the coil air dry completely.
Because you have more space to maneuver, this job is easier on top freezers. However, you should still be able to access the evaporator of any refrigerator. Check your manual for more details.
If you have a refrigerator that has dual evaporators, there will be two sets of coils. One for the fridge and one for your freezer. If the odor is in the fresh food compartment, then you will only need to clean that coil.
If you could only find someone to clean out the disgusting fridge at work.
PREVENTING REFRIGERATOR SMELLS AND ODORS
After your fridge has been cleaned, you’ll want to keep odors away from returning. You can do this by using household items such as baking soda and placing them on a cookie sheet. Then, could you leave it in the refrigerator overnight? Oats and coffee grounds can also be used as natural odor absorbers if you don’t have any baking.
Bonus tip: Use vanilla-soaked cotton balls to create a pleasant aroma in your fridge
You can also make a paste of baking and warm water if your refrigerator is stained. Let the paste sit on the stained areas for at least an hour before wiping it clean.
- How To Quiet A Noisy Refrigerator Compressor Top Full Guide 2023
- Add Freon To Refrigerator 2023
- How To Level A Refrigerator For You
- How To Bypass Start Relay On Refrigerator
- How To Adjust Refrigerator Door
- How To Level A Whirlpool Refrigerator Top Full Guide 2023
- How To Move A Refrigerator Top Full Guide 2023
- How To Measure A Refrigerator Top Full Guide 2023
- How To Replace A Refrigerator Compressor Top Full Guide 2023
- How Does An RV Refrigerator Work Top Full Guide 2023
- How To Dispose Of Refrigerator Top Full Guide 2023
- How To Paint A Refrigerator Top Full Guide 2023
- How To Organize Refrigerator Top Full Guide 2023
- How To Clean Refrigerator Top Full Guide 2023
- How To Clean Refrigerator Coils Top Full Guide 2023
- How To Clean Samsung Refrigerator Coils Top Full Guide 2023
What is the best thing to absorb odors?
Instead of plugging in deodorizers to your electrical sockets and lighting a slew of scented candles, you can use a few household staples like baking soda, distilled vinegar, coffee grounds, and vanilla extract to eliminate odors once for all.
How do you deep clean a refrigerator?
Use a mixture of one quart of hot water and two tablespoons of baking to clean the interior of your fridge. Food absorbs odors, so you should use mild, unscented cleaners. Use a damp cloth to rinse the solution. Dry with a towel. Rinse the removed sections with the same solution, then scrub and rinse.
Why does my freezer smell weird?
Most often, bacteria is the culprit for the smelly freezer air. Although microbes such as yeasts, bacteria, and molds become inactive when temperatures are below 0degF (or lower), they can survive in higher temperatures. Even if the temperature is below 0degF, freezers can freeze food. This is how bacteria can form in food.
What absorbs bad smells in the Room?
Baking and charcoal are some of the items that can absorb moisture from the air to get rid of the musty smell. One of these items can be placed in a bowl next to the musty smell. Make sure that it is out of reach for pets and small children.
Can baking soda remove the smell?
Baking soda can be used alone to eliminate odors from any surface, including carpets and refrigerators. Let the baking soda sit in the toilet bowl for at least two hours. You will notice a reduction in the odor and a decrease in the amount of staining.
It is unacceptable for your refrigerator to smell with technology such as this. These measures are designed to eliminate odors from the refrigerator. They also provide tips on how to keep it fresh and fragrant.
Publican Anker offers other articles related to this tutorial to save you time and effort when searching. You can find more information on our website.
You can comment below if you have any questions. Publican Anker will monitor and filter all questions. Your comments are a great way to help the article become better.