- Paul Kahan
Is your refrigerator old? You have frequent problems with the refrigerator’s automatic doors and want to know how to adjust refrigerator door to close. You’ve found the right place. Publican Anker can help you determine the right repair method.
This tutorial article can be used to help you fix it. Publican Anker believes there is no limit to what you can do.
Common Reasons The Door Won’t Stay Closed
Although you’ve checked that nothing in your fridge door is pushing against the fridge door, the door gaskets won’t close. It can happen for a few reasons that are common and easy to fix.
- The door is too heavy. Remove heavy items like gallons worth of milk or juice to reduce weight. Since you’ll need to remove the door first, it’s best to remove the contents to another fridge or an insulated chest socket wrench before starting this task.
- The fridge is not level. The refrigerator’s front is not level. If it is, the fridge doors will not close properly. To check the refrigerator, use a level and adjust the feet.
- The hinges are not aligned. Your fridge’s hinges can be damaged by years of heavy use. Use a screwdriver to tighten the hinges.
If none of these symptoms are present, it’s time for you to inspect the fridge door seal on your fridge. It may sound like stating the obvious, but a refrigerator door needs to shut tightly in order to work properly.
When the door doesn’t shut tightly, creating that proper seal, cold air will not only escape the fridge, but warm air will also get inside. Warm air can result in a buildup of moisture and eventually make the compressor burn out.
Required Tools for this Project
Here are some tools that you might need to adjust your refrigerator door:
- Screwdriver: To change the screws on the door hinges and handle, you will need a Phillips-head or flat-head screwdriver.
- Level: A spirit level can help you determine if your refrigerator door is properly aligned and level.
- Wrench: You might need a wrench if your refrigerator has adjustable feet.
- Cleaning supplies: You might need some cleaning supplies such as soap and water to clean the gasket or rubber seal around the door.
- Lubricant: Lubricating the door’s hinges and other moving parts may be necessary in particular situations.
- Replacement parts: If your gasket or hinges are damaged beyond repair, you might need to replace them.
How to Make a Refrigerator Door Close
Step 1: Check the Level
The first step is to check if your refrigerator is level. Use a spirit level to check the fridge from side to side and front to back.
If your refrigerator is not level, it can cause the door to tilt forward or backward, preventing it from closing properly. Adjust the feet of the refrigerator until it’s level.
Step 2: Check the Gasket
The gasket or rubber seal around the door creates a tight seal between the refrigerator and the door. If the gasket is dirty or damaged, it can cause air leaks, preventing the door from closing properly.
Check the gasket for any visible damage or debris, and clean it with soap and water if necessary.
Step 3: Adjust the Door Hinges
The door is held in place and can be opened and closed because of the hinges. If the door hinges aren’t tight, the door may sag or tilt, making it difficult to close. The screws holding the door in place should be tightened.
Step 4: Adjust the Door Alignment
The door may not close correctly if the alignment is wrong. The door’s alignment can be tweaked with a screwdriver. Adjust the top hinge if the door is sagging by turning the screw counterclockwise.
Adjust the bottom hinge if the door rubs on the bottom by turning the screw clockwise.
Step 5: Check the Door Handle
The door handle is responsible for pulling the door shut. If the door handle is loose, the door might not shut all the way. You can tighten the screws on the door handle with a knife.
Step 6: Lubricate the Hinges
A door that won’t close correctly may have too stiff or loose hinges. Door hinges and other moving parts should be lubricated using a product like WD-40.
Step 7: Test the Door
Open and close the door numerous times after making any required modifications to ensure it works properly. Check if the door is closing properly and creating a tight seal.
Some related articles for you:
- How Many Watts Does A Refrigerator Use
- How Long Does A Refrigerator Last
- Samsung Refrigerator Noise Stops When Door Open
- How To Unlock Samsung Refrigerator
- Defrost Samsung Refrigerator 2023
How do I know if my refrigerator door needs to be adjusted?
A misaligned refrigerator door might cause the door not to close or leave a gap between the door and the body when the door is closed.
Can I adjust the door without any tools?
Most refrigerators require a screwdriver to adjust the door. However, some newer models have an adjustment screw that can be turned by hand.
What tools do I need to adjust my refrigerator door?
You’ll need a Phillips head screwdriver to adjust the door on most refrigerators. Some models may also require a flathead screwdriver or a hex wrench.
How do I adjust the height of my refrigerator door?
Loosening the screws on the top hinge will allow you to raise or lower the door to make it flush with the refrigerator’s body. Then, tighten the screws back up.
How do I adjust the alignment of my refrigerator door?
Your refrigerator door may be misaligned, in which case you should unscrew the screws on the hinge. Then, gently move the door until it’s flush with the refrigerator body, and tighten the screws back up.
How often do I need to adjust my refrigerator door?
You should check your refrigerator door periodically to ensure it’s closing properly. If you notice any issues, you should adjust the door as needed. Generally, you may need to adjust the door a few times a year.
Can I adjust the door on a side-by-side refrigerator?
Yes, the door on a side-by-side refrigerator can be adjusted like a regular refrigerator. However, you’ll need to be aware of additional screws or adjustments on the door.
The refrigerator will eventually fail after a long time of use. This article can help you if your refrigerator is not closing automatically. Publican Anker believes this article will help you fix the problem without calling a professional. Good luck!
Publican Anker will monitor and filter all questions. Your feedback is a great way to help make the post better.