It is important to test your refrigerator defrost heater thermostat before you buy it. What is the How To Test Refrigerator Defrost Thermostat? How will the testing process affect the refrigerator? It is possible to do this without hiring a professional. This problem is sure to raise thousands of questions.
The testing process is simple and efficient if you read the whole article. Publican Anker demonstrates how to test your refrigerator without missing any detail. The process is quick and easy enough to be a surprise.
How To Test A Refrigerator Defrost Thermostat
To test your refrigerator’s defrost thermostat, follow our step-by-step guide. After diagnosing the problem, we can provide the OEM replacement thermostat for your appliance.
Before you test your defrost thermostat’s functionality, disconnect its power supply. This is easiest done by unplugging the unit from your wall. You could also trip the appropriate switch on the circuit breaker panel or remove the fuse from the home’s fusebox.
If you are unsure if you have the skills or ability to complete the repair, consult an appliance technician.
Find the defrost thermostat in your refrigerator. It may be under the refrigerator’s floor in freezer-on-top models. In other models, it might be at the back. The defrost heater thermostat can be found on the side of a side-by-side refrigerator. The thermostat is wired together with the defrost heating element.
When the thermostat opens, it shuts off. You’ll need to get rid of any obstructions, such as the contents and ice maker parts, freezer shelves, icemaker parts, and bottom or rear panels.
Retainer clips or screws may hold the panel in place. To remove the panels from their frames, either uses a screwdriver or screws to loosen them.
You may need to remove the plastic molding from older refrigerators before you can access the freezer floor. It is important to be careful when removing the mold, as it can break quite easily. Warm it first with a warm, damp towel.
Two wires lead from the thermostat. These wires are connected to terminals using slip-on connectors. To release wires from terminals, gently pull on connectors. To help you, you may need needle-nosed scissors. Don’t pull on the wires.
Remove the thermostat. The thermostat may be held in place by a clip, screw, or clamp. Some models have both the thermostat and clamp as one unit.
Other models have the thermostat clamped around the evaporator tube. Other models allow you to remove the thermostat by pressing the clip down and pulling the thermostat upwards.
Your multitester should be set to R X 1 Ohms. Each multitester’s lead should be placed on a thermostat wire. If your thermostat is cold, your multitester should read zero.
Besides that, If the temperature is between forty and ninety degrees Fahrenheit, this test should give an infinity reading. If your results are different from those presented here, you should replace your thermostat.
How to Replace a Fridge Thermostat
1. Unplug your refrigerator from the wall outlet.
2. Locate the thermostat using the owner’s manual for your refrigerator. The thermostat on side-by-side fridges/freezers is usually located at the back, while it is more common for under/over units to locate the thermostat underneath the fridge.
3. You can remove the protective panel covering the thermostat by unscrewing the screws or removing the retaining clips using a screwdriver. Put the cover aside.
4. Use a pair of needle-nose pliers to gently remove the thermostat wire connectors from the pin terminals or spade. Next, loosen the clip or mounting screw that holds the thermostat in place and slide the thermostat out of the evaporator tube.
5. Attach the new thermostat to your evaporator tube and then the connecting wires to the terminals. Recover the panel cover, then plug the refrigerator in. To test the operation, adjust the temperature dial in the refrigerator.
Maybe you also like:
- How To Defrost Samsung Refrigerator
- How To Put GE Refrigerator Into Defrost
- How To Defrost A Mini Fridge Freezer
- How To Reset Samsung Refrigerator Top Full Guide 2022
- How To Reset LG Refrigerator Top Full Guide 2022
- How Long Does It Take A Refrigerator To Cool Top Full Guide 2022
- Why Is My Refrigerator Not Cooling Top Full Guide 2022
How do I know if my fridge thermostat is working?
The fridge is getting unusually cold. Your thermostat may be malfunctioning if you see frozen food in other compartments. If this happens, you should hire refrigeration repair near Sydney to fix the thermostat.
How do you test a fridge thermostat with a multimeter?
Your multitester should be set to R X 1 Ohms. Each multitester’s lead should be placed on a thermostat wire. If your thermostat is cold, your multitester should read zero. If your thermostat is warm ( between forty and ninety degrees Fahrenheit), this test should give you a zero reading.
What happens when the refrigerator defrosts the thermostat goes bad?
Failing defrost heater termination thermostats can cause the heater to stop heating or a buildup of solid frost on the evaporator coil. This could lead to too high temperatures. The thermostat contacts are usually closed and maintain continuity until the temperature reaches 140 degrees.
Can you fix a fridge thermostat?
A simple hand tool can be used to replace the thermostat of a refrigerator. This is much cheaper than a call to a technician and a new refrigerator.
The most important thing you can do before buying a refrigerator is to test it. After reading this article, you will most likely find all the tools and conditions necessary to test the refrigerator’s defrost thermostat.
You can ask any questions in the comments section. Publican Anker will answer your questions and add reviews to the article. Thank you for reading this post.